Hello friends and family of the Bellingham Metal Arts Guild. These sure have been some crazy times that we’re experiencing and I hope you’re hanging in there!
Most of you know me but I’d like to quickly introduce myself. I’m Sacha (pronounced Say-sha) and I’ve been involved with BMAG since I moved to Bellingham in 2016. I work as a jeweler, I teach at the studio, and I serve on the board as your treasurer. Wearing my treasurer hat today I’d like to give you an update on the studio and our financial health as an organization.
The BMAG studio plans to re-open with phase two of Washington’s Phased Approach. At this time phase two is scheduled to take effect June 1. When the studio re-opens there will be some new rules in place, such as:
- Maximum capacity will be five people in the studio at a time (to more easily allow social distancing of six feet)
- All tools / items used will need to be cleaned before leaving
- Fans will be placed at both ends of the studio to help encourage air flow
- Masks will be required of all who enter the studio.
As for our finances I’m pleased to report that we were in a good place when the covid-19 virus closed the studio in March and forced most of us to shelter in place. We had three months of expenses set aside for an emergency and it has been nice to not worry about how the studio would remain open in those initial weeks of learning to navigate the pandemic.
But our emergency funds are running out and the time has come for us to figure out how we will continue to keep the studio open. Our planned re-opening will enable us to begin earning revenue again, but it’s not likely to be enough for us to recover from being shuddered.
Here are some ways you can help the studio to remain open:
- Take classes at the studio if you’re comfortable and able
- Renew your membership
- Shop at AmazonSmile and support BMAG with a portion of your purchases (directions here)
- Make a donation
- Volunteer your time / skills to the guild and help us spread the good word
Thank you for your interest and support of BMAG; together we can drill, pierce, solder, and hammer our way through this pandemic to keep the studio open.
Cell: 904.233.9056 (calls and text welcome)
Artist Website: www.goldsmithdesigner.com
Consultant & Advocate for Artist Studios – able to travel
Co-Director – GSR Fine Art Festival – Mankato, MNExecutive Board Treasurer – Bellingham Metal Arts Guild