This Intermediate Jewelry Series will focus on five (5) different cabochon gemstone setting techniques, as well as two (2) simple faceted gemstone settings.
This Series is a wonderful introduction to stone setting for students who have taken a Beginning Metalsmithing and/or Jewelry Class.
Students will learn the basics of stone setting for cabochons and the applications for each type of setting. A cabochon is a gemstone that has been shaped and polished, usually with a smooth rounded top and a flat bottom, and no facets.
Students will leave each class in the series with a finished sample.
Students who purchase any class in the series will have extra work time at a 6th class for samples they did not complete.
Students can purchase and commit to the full series, OR purchase only the individual classes they desire.
The full series includes these individual classes:
- Class 1: Cold Connections with Turtle Prongs
- Class 2: Basic Bezels
- Class 3: Bezels for Odd Shaped Stones
- Class 4: Pedestal Prongs
- Class 5: Tube Set Gemstones
- Class 6: Open Studio Time
- Allow $5 to $15 per class for materials. Material/kit fees are payable in cash to the instructor on the First day of class.
- Instructor will have stones available for purchase and will provide the faceted gemstone with the materials kit as well as copper/brass/silver for purchase for each sample. The cost of the material kit will be determined based upon your choice of materials.
- Students are encouraged to bring in a selection of cabochons, gemstones, and sterling silver to class to set for each sample. The whole series will require 4 cabochons for classes: 3 round or oval cabochons and 1 odd shaped/square/rectangle cabochon, and two (2) 5mm faceted gemstones.